Skip to content
- Health Behavior and Policy
- Fellowships and Training
- Bolashak International Scholars
- Notable Scholar Achievements
Notable Scholar Achievements
- Dr. Gulmira Yermakhanova presented a poster entitled “Assessment of Healthcare Reforms in Kazakhstan” at the third annual VCU Global Health Showcase held April 20, 2015 at the Larrick Student Center on the MCV campus. Sponsored by the VCU Global Education, Office of Research, School of Dentistry, School of Medicine, and School of Pharmacy, this year’s showcase theme was “Making it Work, Getting it Right.”
- Dr. Gulmira Yermakhanova was selected to present a poster at the 36th Annual North American Meeting of the Society for Medical Decision Making held in Miami, FL from October 18-22, 2014. Dr. Yermakhanova presented on the topic “Cost-Effectiveness of Insulin Pump Therapy in Children with Type 1 Diabetes in Kazakhstan.”
- In June 2014, Bolashak scholar Dr. Gulmira Aldiyarova enhanced her professional teaching skills by attending a series of workshops at the Literacy Fair of Virginia, an adult education conference held annually at Southside Virginia Community College in Keysville, Virginia.
- Dr. Gulmira Yermakhanova received an award for best poster in the research category for her poster, “Quality of Patients' Life on Insulin Pump Therapy - Kazakhstan Experience,” presented at the VCU Global Health Symposium in April 2014.
- Bolashak scholars, Dr. Karlygash Absattarova and Dr. Gulmira Yermakhanova, were awarded a Proctor & Gamble Scholarship to attend the International Student Leadership Conference at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA, March 28-29, 2014. The scholarship covered their conference registration fees, lodging, and transportation costs.
- Dr. Aygul Kaptagayeva and Dr. Raushan Issayeva made a presentation at the Department of Healthcare Policy and Research Seminar Series on “Global Health – Kazakhstan’s Health System and Research Priorities” in February 2014. Their talk was conducted in English, the first time either scholar had presented in the language.
- Dr. Aygul Kaptagayeva and Dr. Raushan Issayeva developed a grant proposal entitled, “Effectiveness of Drop-In Centers: Care Coordination, Peer Navigation, and Outcomes for HIV/AIDS Patients with Co-Infection.” The completed proposal, the first experience for the scholars in developing a grant proposal to meet international requirements, will be submitted to the Kazakh Ministry of Education and Science which funds joint Kazakh and U.S. research activities.
- In April 2013, Dr. Aygul Kaptagayeva and Dr. Raushan Issayeva presented a poster, “Bolashak-VCU Partnership for Health,” at the VCU Global Health Symposium held on the MCV campus.